History of development

In 1994, NovaCard was the first company in Russia to begin production of plastic cards. Today it is the leader in this market sector across Russia, the CIS, and in Eastern Europe.

It all began when seven like-minded individuals rented a room in the Institute of applied physics at the Academy of Science. They purchased their first equipment for producing personalised plastic cards and earned contracts for the production of discount cards for shopping centres, restaurants and clubs. In 1994, NovaCard also began to produce cards for the Golden Crown Russian payment system and, in 1996 Union Card. Gradually, as the company developed, increasingly hi-tech industrial equipment was purchased and production of more complicated and larger orders began.


Highlights of “NovaCard” development

The Head Office of NovaCard JSC

The old Nizhny Novgorod station building and terminus of the Timiryazevo-Nizhny Novgorod, railway line, better known as the Romadanovsky railway station, is located on the right bank of the Oka river at the end of Chernigovskaya street.

A hundred years ago this was a busy street with a port and a station. The two hundred and seventy two verst (180 mile) long Timiryazevo-Nizhny Novgorod line was built by the Moscow-Kazan Railway Company, in which Karl Fedorovich von Mekk was one of the key figures. He was a Russian railway engineer - and one of the fathers of the Russian rail system.

The official date of construction of the railway station, as indicated in the protection documents is 1904 (although construction began in 1900). The classical station building stood out amongst the “merchant” architecture of Nizhny Novgorod. An All-Russian commercial and art exhibition was held in Nizhny Novgorod in 1896. After the exhibition a branch of the Engineering society was created in the city, the main function of which was to connect the city with a railway. The society developed the Nizhny Novgorod-Kazan railway line project. Rather than a bridge across the Oka it was decided to build the railway lines along the shore of the river. The right bank of the river Oka near the Degtyarevs and Bashkirovs’ flour mill dock was chosen as the location for the railway station.